19th December 2013
Globus Introduces World's First Biodegradable Nitrile Disposable Glove
Globus, experts in hand protection solutions has announced the launch of GREEN-DEX™ from Showa Best; the world’s first biodegradable nitrile safety glove. GREEN-DEX™ biodegrades in biologically-active landfills thus providing an effective single-use hand protection solution as well as the ability to boost a company’s green credentials and reduce its recycling costs.
The unique ‘biodegradable’ characteristic is made possible by the innovative, patent-pending Eco Best Technology™ (EBT). The EBT organic additive is designed to make GREEN-DEX™ attractive to microbial activity in a landfill. Upon consumption of the EBT formulation, micro-organisms excrete enzymes that depolymerise the nitrile. The result is biogases and inert humus. Normal nitrile gloves take decades, if not hundreds of years, to biodegrade and break down in landfill whereas the biodegradation rate of GREEN-DEX™ is far more rapid.
Testing by an independent research lab has confirmed that 20 per cent of a GREEN-DEX™ glove will have biodegraded in 160 days compared to the controlled N-DEX® gloves which had less than 2 per cent biodegraded. Importantly there is no difference in shelf life as GREEN-DEX™ does not start to biodegrade until it is in landfill.
The Eco-Best Technology™ does not compromise any of the quality of the glove. GREEN-DEX™ is representative of the same exact performance standards of the original N-DEX® glove and has the same polymer performance characteristics in modulus, elongation and tensile strength.
Nitrile reacts positively to a wearer’s hand shape and skin forming a snug fit on the hand thus allowing for increased sensitivity and good dexterity. Nitrile doesn’t contain any natural rubber latex and, therefore, can be worn by anyone with a latex sensitivity.
Nitrile started out as the glove of choice for laboratories and for those with latex allergy. However, it has now become the disposable glove of choice for many industries due to its versatility and number of other benefits.
- Nitrile gloves are considerably more puncture resistant than latex gloves and provide far higher chemical resistance.
- They can also be worn under or over other work gloves to add liquid-proof protection. Nitrile can better withstand permeation, making them less likely to absorb water in damp environments
- As nitrile has a smooth interior coating and a lower resistance to friction it makes them easier to put on and take off your hands.
- High quality nitrile gloves such as GREEN-DEX™ use body temperature to mould to the shape of the hand, ensuring a snug and comfortable fit for the wearer.
- Nitrile formulation also minimises cross-contamination, making it ideal for protecting the product and the wearer.
GREEN-DEX™ offers these significant benefits to industry whilst enabling a company to boost its green credentials.
Learn more at www.green-dex.co.uk